Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Fernando Grillo - Suite I (1983/2005) (Read 26836 times)
Fernando Grillo
God Member

W questo forum!

Fernando Grillo - Suite I (1983/2005)
02.07.2008 at 11:13:37
Print Post Print Post  

Suite I (1983/2005) 
KBB 10 - Edition Schott 
per contrabbasso
for Double Bass
für Kontrabass

SUITE I - EDITION SCHOTT 

Comments on Suite I for double bass 

“La Suite I per contrabbasso, è un evento storico che rivoluziona le basi dell’esecuzione musicale per lo strumento ad arco, con il contributo di nuovi ed inconsueti aspetti della disciplina e pratica musicale.
L’interprete, dopo il primo impatto visivo: l’approccio con la pagina musicale - premonitore del carattere di “iniziazione” al suono di cui tutta l’opera è permeata - e l’apparente disorientamento che esso può provocare, sarà inevitabilmente sollecitato alla comprensione degli eventi sonori attraverso la loro scrupolosa analisi ed esecuzione.
L’opera è rivelatrice, come un libro aperto, della necessità di raggiungere un alto grado di raffinamento musicale che si fonda sulla verità, fisico-positiva, della percezione dei parametri di suono. 
L’architettura compositiva, orizzontale e verticale, è espressa inequivocabilmente, nella visualità, dall’accurata postura dell’utile segno grafico e, nella percezione, dal suono prodotto.
Il principio ispiratore che ha informato la composizione, si richiama alle proporzioni - manifeste in “natura” - del monocordo pitagorico: il fondamento del 1° armonico dal quale si enucleano i suoni armonici della serie numerica. Questa tensione del grave all’alto, cosi mirabilmente rappresentata nello strumento contrabbasso, mi ha convinto ad elaborare una musica che pone l’attacco (primo nella produzione sonora), il timbro (rilevante per il suo carattere “inaudito”), la durata, (definita dal segno d’articolazione che consente il naturale “lasciar vibrare” della corda) e la dinamica (suggestivo “milieu” della psiche interpretativa) a presiedere sulla percezione sonora e non più l’altezza del suono, come improbabile tentativo di “imitare” il violino. 
In particolare vorrei rilevare le nuove concezioni introdotte nella Suite I in riguardo ai parametri del suono: attacco, durata, altezza, dinamica e timbro, alla condotta dell’arco per l’esecuzione dei segni d’articolazione graduati dal sollevamento ed aderenza dell’arco sulla corda, all’uso dei suoni armonici nella loro peculiarità di timbro, alla scrupolosa intavolatura delle altezze del suono che, assecondando una postura corretta e naturale della mano nel rispetto fisiologico dell’articolazione, consente un’intonazione funzionale ai procedimenti espressivi e, non per ultimo, all’innovativa stesura grafica per i simboli e la notazione, da me stesso prodotta, a sostegno di una lettura “intelligente”.
Questi aspetti sono continuamente presenti nella composizione, che, pur fondandosi su strutture tradizionali e in particolare del barocco, non di rado si apre a sonorità mai ascoltate.
A causa del “continuum” d’invenzione musicale si scoprono, infatti, nuove ed inesplorate possibilità per lo strumento, mentre un senso d’estrema naturalità è risvegliato nell’ascoltatore: ogni evento diviene, così, un alto momento di riflessione per lo studioso. 
La trasmissione del pensiero, realizzata con la scrittura, la semplice appropriazione esecutiva attraverso una “naturale” produzione del suono, hanno costituito per me una straordinaria opportunità per provocare un “risveglio” del desiderio di conoscenza che solo rende inesauribile le potenzialità della ricerca.
Nella Suite I infine, pensiero e suono divengono una realtà, nell’attesa di crescita della prassi musicale.
Vorrei esprimere, ora, con Leonardo, cosa anima i miei studi sonori e passioni: 
E tirato dalla mia bramosa voglia, vago di vedere la gran commistione delle varie e strane forme fatte dalla artificiosa natura ... piegato le mie rene in arco, … subito si destarono in me due cose: paura e desiderio; paura per la minacciosa oscura spelonca, desiderio per vedere se là entro fussi alcuna miracolosa cosa ...Fernando Grillo

IP Logged

Fernando Grillo
God Member

W questo forum!

Re: Fernando Grillo - Suite I (1983/2005)
Reply #1 - 02.07.2008 at 11:14:31
Print Post Print Post  
Suite I for double bass is a historic event that revolutionizes the musical basics for string instrument playing, with the new and unusual aspects that it contributes to music discipline and practices.   
The interpreter, after the first visual impact: the approach to the sheet of music - forewarned the initiatory character to the sound that permeates all the work - and the apparent disorientation it can cause, will be inevitably urged to understand the sound events by means of their scrupulous analysis and execution.
The work reveals, like an open book, the need to reach a high level of musical refinement that is based on the physical-positive truth of the sound parameters perception.   
The horizontal and vertical architecture of the composition is clearly expressed visually by the thorough positioning of useful graphical signs and in the perception by the sound produced.
The main inspiration of the composition can be traced back to the proportions - manifested in “nature”- of the Pythagorean monochord: the fundamental of the 1st harmonic from which the harmonic sounds of the numerical series are enucleated. This tension of grave to high, so wonderfully representative on the double bass, convinced me to elaborate a music that places the attack (first in the sound production), timbre (relevant because it has never been heard before), length (defined by the articulation sign that allows the string, in a natural way, to be “let to vibrate”) and the dynamic (suggestive “milieu” of the interpretative psyche) to preside over the perception of sound and no longer the height of sound, like the improbable attempt to “imitate” the violin.
In particular, I would like to underline the new concepts introduced by Suite I in relation to the sound parameters: attack, length, pitch, dynamics and timbre, to the bowing for the execution of the graduated articulation signs by lifting and adhering the bow to the string, to the use of harmonic sounds in their timbre peculiarity, to the scrupulous tablature of the pitch of the sound, that, assuming a correct and natural position of the hand according to the physiology of the articulation, allow an intonation based on expressive procedures and, last but not least, to the innovative musical graphic for symbols and notations, produced by myself, that sustain “intelligent” reading.   
These aspects are continuously present in the composition, which, although founded on traditional structures, in particular baroque music, not infrequently extends to sounds that have never been heard before.   
Indeed, due to the “continuum” of musical invention, one discovers new and unexplored possibilities for the instrument and a sense of extreme naturalness is reawakened in the listener: every event constitutes a profound moment of reflection for the scholar.
The transmission of thought, accomplished by the writing, the simple executive appropriation through a “natural” production of the sound, have allowed me the extraordinary opportunity to provoke a “reawakening” of the desire for knowledge that makes the potentiality for research inexhaustible.
Finally, in Suite I thought and sound become a reality, while awaiting new developments in musical practices.
I would like to express, now, with Leonardo, what animates my sound studies and my passions: 
And drawn by my yearning desire, I wander to see the great mingling of the various and strange forms made by artful nature … my back bent in a bow, … immediately two things awake in me, fear and desire: fear of my dark menacing den, desire to see if several miraculous things enter it …Fernando Grillo

“La Suite è trascendentale!” Corrado Penta
“The Suite is transcendental!” Corrado Penta

“Dear Fernando Grillo, 
thank you for the enormous enrichment and inspiration of your Suite. From your devoted fun.” Gary Karr

IP Logged

Fernando Grillo
God Member

W questo forum!

Reply #2 - 02.07.2008 at 11:15:24
Print Post Print Post  

BASS WORLD
The Magazine of the International Society of Bassist
Volume 30 - Number Three - 2007

SUITE I (1983/2005)
Fernando Grillo
Edition Schott
KBB 10
ISMN M-001-13723-2
www.schott-music.com

“The first thing that one notices about Fernando Grillo’s Suite I is that it is big. The edition of this unaccompanied solo work comes in at 77 pages, 17 of which are explanations of the notation and performance instructions. There are a couple of other pages devoted to a Preface and a photo of Mr. Grillo. Upon opening the score, the second thing one notices is that Suite I is a complex composition. As the pages are brimming with conventional and unconventional notational symbols, the need for 17 pages of instructions becomes apparent. However, what one may not notice at first or even second glance is that this is an important new work for the double bass. It may be a masterpiece.
Fernando Grillo’ commitment to contemporary music and his innovations into the sonic properties of the double bass are legendary. Therefore, it is striking that the basis of Suite I is the Baroque language of the suite, the pinnacle of which are Johann Sebastian Bach’s Six Suites for solo cello. Like the Bach Suites, Suite I has six movements – Prelude, Allemande, Courante, Sarabande, Gavotte I & II, and Gigue. Typical meters apply, such as the 4/4 of the Prelude, the Sarabande in 3/4, a Gavotte in cut time, or the 12/8 Gigue. At times, Mr. Grillo employs the rhythm of a particular dance; at other times he suggests or freely interprets the rhythm.
The printed page contains two layers of information. The first layer is conventional: a staff, familiar pitch and rhythmic notation, time signatures, key signatures (the suite is in d minor), and dynamics. The second layer is a collection of graphic symbols that lead the performer into an extremely detailed bowing technique that explores sound parameters such as attack, length, release, articulation, bow speed, pitch, vibratos, dynamics, timbre, harmonics, and more. Each aspect of a note’s sound has been considered and notated. 
Scrupulously observing this notation will reveal a highly original sound world. In the words of Salvatore Sciarrino, from the Preface: “There are composers whose thoughts eclipse or absorb the sense of sound of their own music. And composers whose sound attire is a luxuriance of striking ‘fioritura’. Fernando Grillo cannot be placed in either of these two categories but, rather, he summarizes and goes beyond them. He represents that rare position of balance between physiology and thought, sound and language.”
Suite I will require extensive study for anyone wishing to play it. There is much more to master than bowings, fingerings and expression. Suite I will take the performer on a journey of exploration and discovery. The rewards for this journey will be rich, as Suite I will take you into the heart of the double bass and the soul of the bow. In the words of the composer: “indeed, due to the continuum of musical invention, one discovers new and unexplored possibilities for the instrument and a sense of extreme naturalness is reawakened in the listener: therefore, every event constitutes a profound moment of reflection for the scholar.”
In keeping with Edition Schott’ high productions values, this publication is cleanly printed, on fine paper. Considerable effort was taken to make the complex notation easy to read. (In this edition of Suite No. 1, the composer has produced the musical graphics, the illustrative notes, and explanations of the signs used.) The text is in Italian, English and German. 
The I of Suite I implies that there are additional Suites. Indeed, Mr. Grillo is planning four more, each in a different style. Edition Schott is encouraged to continue their respectful publication of each Suite, as they are composed. A collection of five suites by Fernando Grillo would be a monumental contribution to the double bass repertoire.” Review by Robert Black. BASS WORLD. The Magazine of the International Society of Bassist.

IP Logged

Fernando Grillo
God Member

W questo forum!

Reply #3 - 02.07.2008 at 11:16:16
Print Post Print Post  
„Wer ihn als maßstabsetzenden Innovator des zeitgenössischen Kontrabaßspiels kennenlernte, mag überrascht sein, daß Fernando Grillo in seiner Suite I für Kontrabaß auf die Musiksprache des Barock zurückgreift. Und doch steht auch hinter diesem Werk die gleiche Ästhetik, die dem gesamten kompositorischen Werk Grillos zugrunde liegt: die Idee einer wahrhaft eigenständigen Musik, die aus einer eingehenden Erforschung der spezifischen klanglichen und technischen Möglichkeiten des Instruments erwächst. 
Die Suite I bietet somit dem Studierenden wie dem Konzertierenden eine musikalisch wie spieltechnisch höchst anspruchsvolle Alternative zu den zahlreichen Bearbeitungen, auf die Kontrabassisten aus Mangel an Originalliteratur häufig zurückgreifen.
Fernando Grillo beabsichtigt, der ersten Suite vier weitere in verschiedenen Stilarten folgen zu lassen.“
Peter Niklas Wilson

“Those who know Fernando Grillo as the innovator who has given value to the sound of the contemporary double bass may be surprised that he has turned to baroque musical language in his Suite No. 1 for double bass. 
And yet, behind Grillo’s work we find the same aesthetic  that is the basis of all the works he has composed: the idea of a music which is truly original and born out of a profound study of the specific sound and technical possibilities of the instrument. 
Suite No. 1 offers the scholar, as well as the concert performer, a highly demanding alternative, both from a musical and technical point of view, to the numerous  adaptations to which double bass players must often turn for lack of original literature. 
Fernando Grillo has in mind to compose four more suites in different styles to follow the first.
Peter Niklas Wilson

“Chi ha conosciuto Fernando Grillo come l’innovatore che ha valorizzato il suono del contrabbasso contemporaneo, sarà sorpreso che ora egli ricorra, nella sua Suite I per contrabbasso, al linguaggio musicale barocco. Eppure, anche dietro questo lavoro di Grillo, troviamo la stessa estetica che è il fondamento della sua intera opera compositiva: l’idea di una musica veramente originale che scaturisce da una ricerca approfondita delle specifiche possibilità sonore e tecniche dello strumento.
La Suite I offre così allo studioso, come anche al concertista, un’alternativa altamente esigente,  sia dal punto di vista musicale che  tecnico, alle numerose trascrizioni cui spesso ricorrono i contrabbassisti per mancanza di letteratura originale. 
Fernando Grillo ha in animo di comporre altre quattro Suite di stili diversi da far seguire alla prima.” Peter Niklas Wilson

IP Logged

Fernando Grillo
God Member

W questo forum!

Reply #4 - 02.07.2008 at 11:16:59
Print Post Print Post  

Das Orchester
Zeitschrift für Orchesterkultur & Rundfunk - Chorwesen

Review
Grillo, Fernando
Suite I für Kontrabass 
Publisher: Schott, Mainz 2005
Category: Scores
Das Orchester 03/2006, Page 82

„Es war der Dirigent Sergiu Celibidache, der einmal sagte, dass Noten noch keine Musik seien. Noten seien nur „die Vehikel, die die Musik transportieren“. Das waren noch Zeiten, als der Zeichenvorrat ausreichte, um damit Musik zu machen. Mit der reinen Notenschrift ist es heute jedoch nicht mehr getan, die „Vehikel“ haben erheblich zugenommen. Leider jedoch nicht so einheitlich wie bisher. Bei der vorliegenden Suite für Kontrabass-Solo von Fernando Grillo, die sich formal und stilistisch durchaus in barocken Bahnen bewegt, ist jede Note mit mindestens einer, wenn nicht mit mehreren weiteren Informationen belegt. 
Die dreisprachige Gebrauchsanweisung, durch viele Grafiken und Notenbeispiele ergänzt, bringt auf insgesamt 17 Seiten „Erläuternde Anmerkungen und Erklärungen der von Fernando Grillo verwendeten Zeichen“. Bevor man also den ersten Ton spielt, ist ein sehr gründliches Studium der „Verkehrszeichen“ angesagt. Besonders der Bogen bekommt ein ganzes Kompendium neuer Aufgaben: Ansatz, Dauer, Streichgeschwindigkeit oder Abhubabstand sind genauestens geregelt. Aber auch Tonhöhen, die stufenlos fallen und steigen können, mal mit, mal ohne Vibrato, sind festgelegt. Die Techniken des Fingersatzes, inklusive mancher Streckungen in der Daumenlage, dazu die Dynamik und Klangfarbe unterliegen festen Vorschriften. Das sieht auf den ersten Blick alles nach einer absoluten Einengung, nach kompositorischer Diktatur aus. Doch bei näherer Betrachtung merkt man, dass auch diese Musik letztlich bei aller Festlegung interpretationsoffen ist, dass eigene Kreativitäten beim Spiel möglich, ja erwünscht sind. 
Fernando Grillo steht in der lange unterbrochen gewesenen Tradition berühmter Namen, für die eine Fusion von Instrumentalist und Komponist noch eine Selbstverständlichkeit war. Kontrabassisten wie Hoffmeister, Bottesini, Vanhal, Sperger oder später Kussevitzky haben das Repertoire für ihr Instrument selbst wesentlich erweitert. So auch Grillo, der den Spielern Originales anbietet: Die Zeiten, in denen man meinte, aus Mangel heraus Bearbeitungen spielen zu müssen, sind längst vorbei.
Grillos Hauptanliegen ist die Revolutionierung des Klangs auf seinem Instrument. Auch wenn er völlig neue Spieltechniken fordert, steht dabei nicht die Virtuosität im Vordergrund, sondern eine neuartige Sinngebung des Tons. Hier werden plötzlich Farben lebendig, die man auf dem Kontrabass bisher nicht hörte. Die Satzfolge ist mit den sechs Solosuiten Bachs für Cello identisch, also Prélude, Allemande, Courante, Sarabande, Gavotte I und II und Gigue. Aber auch sonst ist hier vom bachschen Geist viel lebendig. Mit etwa 45 Spielminuten ist diese Suite aber deutlich länger als eine der barocken Suiten. 
Das Werk entstand schon 1983 und wurde 1988 in Florenz von Enrico Francioni uraufgeführt. Gewidmet ist es Grillos Lehrer Corrado Penta e Amedeo Baldovino. 2005 hat Grillo die Suite noch einmal überarbeitet und nun herausgegeben. Der hohe Schwierigkeitsgrad hält die Zahl der möglichen Interpreten natürlich überschaubar. Diese Suite kann man nicht einfach spielen: Der Solist muss sie erleben, er (oder sie) muss selbst zu Klang werden, muss über den Klang meditieren. Karlheinz Stockhausen nannte Grillo deshalb schon einmal „den Buddha des Kontrabasses“. Doch auch, wenn man weltanschauliche Verbindungen außen vor lässt, ergibt sich eine besondere musikalische Psychologie des Spiels und des Klangs. 
Und das hat bei richtiger Verwendung auf die Hörer unmittelbar eine große Sogwirkung. Man sollte sich mit dieser Suite beschäftigen.“
Von Wolfgang Teubner. Das Orchester.

IP Logged

Fernando Grillo
God Member

W questo forum!

Reply #5 - 02.07.2008 at 11:17:46
Print Post Print Post  
“It was the conductor Sergiu Celibidache who once said that notes are not yet music, that notes are only “vehicles to transport music”. Those were times when the range of musical notes was still sufficient to make music. Today, mere notation is not enough; the number of “vehicles” has grown enormously but, unfortunately, not uniformly as before. In the Suite for double bass solo by Fernando Grillo, which is formally and stylistically baroque in nature, each note contains at least one piece of information, if not a multiplicity of information. The seventeen-page book of operating instructions is in three languages and is provided with numerous diagrams and examples to interpret the “annotations and explanations of the notes of articulation used by Fernando Grillo”. Before playing the first note, one must thoroughly study the “road signs”. First of all, the bow has been assigned a series of new tasks; the entrance, duration and speed of the bow and even the distance of the entrance of the bow on the string are regulated to the smallest detail.   
Even pitches are defined which can gradually rise or fall with and without vibrato. Fingering techniques, including some particular extensions of the thumb, are subject to strict regulations. At first sight, this could seem absolutely limiting, a sort of dictatorship of the composer. On closer examination, however, one realizes that, in spite of many regulations, room has been left for interpretation, that this music offers the possibility of personal creativity in its playing, it even encourages it.   
Today Fernando Grillo carries on a long-interrupted tradition of famous double bassists who were both performers and composers. Such famous names as Hoffmeister, Bottesini, Vanhal, Sperger and, later, Koussevitzky significantly increased the repertory for the instrument. By offering musicians something original, Grillo has made those times, when performers thought that they could only play elaborations of old pieces for the lack of anything else, a thing of the past. Grillo’s main objective has been to revolutionize the sound of his instrument. Even if this requires completely new techniques, virtuosity is not of primary importance, but rather a new interpretation of sound. Unexpected tones, never before heard on a double bass. The sequence of movements is identical to the six Suites for cello solo by Bach: Prélude, Allemande, Courante, Sarabande, Gavotte I and II and Gigue. With a length of about 45 minutes, this suite is much longer than the baroque suites. The work was written in 1983 and was first performed by Enrico Francioni in Florence in 1988. It was dedicated to Grillo’s teachers, Maestri Corrado Penta and Amedeo Baldovino. In 2005, Grillo revised his suite for publication. Its high level of difficulty naturally limits the number of possible interpreters. This suite cannot be merely played: the soloist must live it; he or she must become sound and meditate on the sound. For this reason Karlheinz Stockhausen once called Grillo “the Buddha of the double bass”. But leaving aside such nexus that refer to visions of the world, here we are dealing with a particular psychology of playing and sound. 
Adopting it correctly, the listener immediately reaches a strong effect of involvement. A suite not to be neglected.” Review by Wolfgang Teubner. Das Orchester.

IP Logged

Fernando Grillo
God Member

W questo forum!

Reply #6 - 02.07.2008 at 11:18:36
Print Post Print Post  
“Fu il direttore Sergiu Celibidache a dire una volta che le note non sarebbero state ancora musica. Che le note sarebbero soltanto “i veicoli per trasportare la musica”. Erano ancora tempi in cui la gamma di segni musicali era sufficiente per fare musica. La mera notazione oggi, però, non è più sufficiente, il numero dei “veicoli” è cresciuto di molto. Purtroppo non in modo così uniforme come finora. 
Nella Suite per solo contrabbasso di Fernando Grillo, senz’altro formalmente e stilisticamente collocabile in un quadro barocco, ogni singola nota contiene almeno un’informazione, se non addirittura molteplici informazioni. Le istruzioni per l’uso in tre lingue, corredate da numerosi grafici ed esempi interpretativi, riportano per ben 17 pagine le “Annotazioni esplicative e le spiegazioni dei segni d’articolazione utilizzati da Fernando Grillo”. Prima di suonare la prima nota, pertanto, bisogna passare allo studio approfondito “dei cartelli stradali”. In primo luogo è all’arco che è assegnata una serie di nuovi compiti: nei minimi dettagli sono regolati attacco, durata, velocità della conduzione dell’arco o anche la distanza di attacco dell’arco sulla corda. Ma sono definite anche le altezze del suono, che possono crescere o diminuire gradatamente, con e senza vibrato. Le tecniche della diteggiatura, comprese alcune estensioni particolari nella diteggiatura del pollice, oltre che la dinamica e il timbro, sono soggette a rigorose disposizioni. A prima vista ciò potrebbe apparire una limitazione assoluta, una dittatura del compositore. Ad un esame più approfondito, invece, ci si accorge che anche questa musica, nonostante le tante prescrizioni, lascia spazio all’interpretazione, dà possibilità alla propria creatività nel suonare, anzi la promuove. 
Fernando Grillo dà seguito ad una tradizione, rimasta a lungo interrotta, di nomi famosi, per i quali il connubio di strumentista e compositore rappresentava una cosa ovvia. Contrabbassisti come Hoffmeister, Bottesini, Vanhal, Sperger o più tardi Koussevitzky avevano ampliato, in modo significativo, il repertorio per il loro strumento. Allo stesso modo anche Grillo, offrendo agli esecutori qualcosa d’originale: i tempi in cui si credeva di dover suonare delle elaborazioni per mancanza d’altro sono ormai lontani. Il compito principale che Grillo si pone è la rivoluzione del suono sul suo strumento. Anche se richiede delle tecniche completamente nuove, non è il virtuosismo a stare al primo posto, ma un’interpretazione nuova del suono. Timbri inaspettati, mai sentiti finora con il contrabbasso. La sequenza dei tempi è identica a quella delle sei Suites per solo violoncello di Bach, cioè Prèlude, Allemande, Courante, Sarabande, Gavotte I e II e Gigue. Oltre a ciò, comunque, lo spirito di Bach è vivo anche per molti altri aspetti. E con una durata di ca. 45 minuti questa suite è molto più lunga delle suites barocche. 
L’opera fu scritta già nel 1983 ed eseguita per la prima volta nel 1988 a Firenze da Enrico Francioni. E’ dedicata agli insegnanti di Grillo, i maestri Corrado Penta e Amedeo Baldovino. Nel 2005 la suite è stata ulteriormente rielaborata da Grillo per essere ora pubblicata. L’alto livello delle difficoltà naturalmente fa sì che il numero dei possibili interpreti sia limitato. Questa suite non si può semplicemente suonare: il solista la deve vivere, egli stesso (o lei stessa) deve diventare suono, deve meditare sul suono. Per questo già una volta Karlheinz Stockhausen battezzò Grillo “il Buddha del contrabbasso”. Ma anche a prescindere da nessi che riportano a visioni del mondo, qui abbiamo a che fare con una particolare psicologia del suonare e del suono.
Adottandola correttamente si raggiunge immediatamente un forte effetto di coinvolgimento dell’ascoltatore. Una suite da non trascurare.” Recensione di Wolfgang Teubner. Das Orchester.

IP Logged

Fernando Grillo
God Member

W questo forum!

Reply #7 - 02.07.2008 at 11:19:25
Print Post Print Post  

“Dear Maestro Fernando Grillo,
I received your Suite I and it is great honor for me to have your “Suite I” with your dedication. Your composition is a great step for new double bass technique and aesthetic future.
My best congratulations for your extraordinary talent and unique imagination for a futuristic double bass possibilities.” Irena Olkiewicz. Art Director of World Bass Festival Wroclaw

“Dear Fernando, 
I did receive your package with Suite No. I. It is a very impressive piece. I thank you so much for sending me a copy and mostly for doing all that enormous work to create the piece and the technical system that goes with it. May your new piece find great success in the music and bass world.” Barre Phillips

“Dear Maestro Grillo, 
I received your wonderful Suite I for solo double bass as well as your marvelous CDs. I thank you very much for sending them. 
I have been working on Suite I a little bit every day. It is both challenging, and extremely gratifying to play. I enjoy working on it and look forward to performing it. I like the illustrative notes that you included at the beginning of the composition. This has become more helpful as I become more familiar with the piece. 
When I perform it, I will send you a recording of it for your collection.” Anthony Stoops

“Dearest Maestro,
I would like to thank you very much for your “Suite I” and the recordings, which I have received lost month. 
I think your composition is one of the most important works ever written for the double bass. 
Firstly, it offers real compendium of physical and technical knowledge about the sound of instrument. 
Your meticulously completed explanations should be obligatory for many teaching methods.      
Many double bassists can find there precision definition of those aspects of playing, which are usually though as obviously, but in fact often the performance of it seems to be accidental. 
The point of view, you propose, gives the opportunity to realize spectrum of possibilities of the instrument, and could completely change mind in thinking about the music. 
Finally, the “Suite I” is an extraordinary position in solo bass literature, because of artistic and aesthetic reasons and, in my opinion, should get the success at many stages.” Karol Kowal

IP Logged

Fernando Grillo
God Member

W questo forum!

Reply #8 - 02.07.2008 at 11:20:10
Print Post Print Post  
“I have recently had the opportunity to study Suite I in detail with Maestro Fernando Grillo. His teaching has assisted me much more to understand his intentions within the work. 
I now solemnly believe that Suite I presents a completely new perspective for the Double Bass as a solo instrument. 
It is within this work that all natural elements of the double bass are utilised. I believe this especially after studying with Maestro Grillo and discussing very specific details in each movement. It is important to be aware that bowings are only playable by lifting the hair above the string and having complete control of bow division from a whole down to 1/16.
As Fernando Grillo states in the explanatory section the most important aspect is the beginning and end of each sound. It is between each sound, the physical movement that articulates the proceeding event. As you could imagine it is like applying a magnifying glass to all the movements you make. It is this element that trains one to always think ahead. I believe this to be one of the most important aspects of becoming a professional musician. Outside of this the music is the result. 
A few months ago I wrote short description about Suite I. I thought I would attach it in case anyone was interested:
Fernando Grillo recently had Schott publish his Suite I for solo double bass. The edition is exceptionally beautiful. It is printed clearly and the attention to detail is impeccable. It is great to finally see such a significant work printed with the attention it deserves.
To understand the breadth of this piece we only need to remember what Fernando Grillo has done to already bring the double bass into this century. 
As a soloist / composer he has become famous for his work and collaborations with Karlheinz Stockhausen, Iannis Xenakis, Giacinto Scelsi and many other composers that have had such significant influence.
Fernando Grillo’ recording Fluvine and interpretations of Concertos commissioned for him by Joanna Bruzdowicz, Iancu Dumitrescu, Klaus Huber demonstrate he is the leader in the European Double Bass sound. Grillo now presents his own composition Suite I which he started in 1983 and completed for publication in 2005. Thorough study of the score is what is required as soon as you turn the first page. The Suite is introduced with explanatory notes that clearly describe in minute detail what every symbol stands for and exactly how it should be interpreted. Whether it is bowing, fingerings, vibrato, harmonics, strings (I-IV) Grillo leaves nothing unexplained. The explanatory notes are an exhaustive resource in themselves and will keep the dedicated double bassist occupied much longer than the 16 pages they are printed on.
Flourishing arpeggios, operatic melodic lines and virtuosic technique to me were the trademarks of Bottesini’ virtuoso compositions. Now Grillo presents all of the above and enhances the spectrum of possibilities by articulating what bowings will produce the desired attack, length and colour. 
To perform all the intricate details and transfer what is on paper to sound one most definitely acquire a virtuosic technique. With these additions to his music it is obvious Fernando Grillo has set a new benchmark for the history of double bass. 
The benefits of studying Suite I are that it encourages the performer to analyse the physical properties of the double bass and set them into a homogenous musical setting. I have found that the Suite combines every nuance from the lowest open string to the 9 degree in harmonics poetically and doesn’t make registers sound disjointed. 
The Suite consists of Prelude, Allemande, Courante, Sarabande, Gavotte I and II and Gigue. The central key is D minor. There is a plethora of modulations and complex chromatism, which requires a well-trained ear and committed practise to perfect. Rhythmically all the movement are traditionally similar to what is found in the Bach cello suites however Grillo adds a modern touch with expressive markings and tempo retardations that are completely musical and logical. The bowings and articulations imply phrasing and musical shape reminiscent of early music. The Suite played on the double bass sounds similar to a viola da gamba particularly when performed in solo tuning because it incorporates multiple double to quadruple note chords that resonate and exploit the real sound of an open string or harmonic. All the movements are representative of a masterful composer and are extremely enjoyable to perform. 
Fernando Grillo’ Suite I  is a work that belongs in all professional and aspiring soloists repertoire.” Mark Cauvin. Double Bass Soloist. Goulburn Conservatorium, Tutor for SBS Youth Orchestra, Australia 

IP Logged

Fernando Grillo
God Member

W questo forum!

Reply #9 - 02.07.2008 at 11:20:58
Print Post Print Post  
“Salve. Vorrei fare una segnalazione editoriale, credo... anzi ne sono certo, degna di nota. 
È uscita la tanto attesa Suite I per contrabbasso solo di Fernando Grillo, nel senso che è stata pubblicata. 
Il lavoro monumentale – durata dichiarata 43 minuti senza ritornelli distribuiti tra i vari movimenti canonici della suite – assume un’importanza direi come minimo basilare, nell’ambito della letteratura contrabbassistica e ciò lo dico non perchè ne sono stato il primo esecutore della versione del 1988: infatti il lavoro è stato pubblicato nel 2005, ma era stato concepito già dal lontano 1983. 
La presentazione del Wilson ne chiarisce in pieno le motivazioni artistiche ed estetiche: infatti pur essendo un brano dalla scrittura diciamo “barocca”, occupa un posto considerevole nella letteratura contemporanea del nostro strumento. Il lavoro originalissimo, chiarisce in maniera direi esauriente il modo di concepire la tecnica nel suo significato più ampio e costruttivo del termine – significativo è il fatto di aver dedicato quasi ben 25 facciate di Note esplicative – tecnica come sempre al servizio della poetica. La cura del’aspetto grafico e semiografico contribuisce a qualificare questo importante lavoro che di sicuro lascerà un segno indelebile nel panorama della nuova musica. 
La Suite I per contrabbasso è stata pubblicata dalla Edition Schott e anche questo fatto direi che non ci può lasciare dubbi sul valore indiscusso che assume l’opera. 
Invito tutta la comunità contrabbassistica e in generale tutti gli interpreti ed i compositori, a prenderne visione, ne vale sicuramente la pena.” Enrico Francioni. NBB Records – Forum

“Carissimo Vito, 
sempre i miei migliori complimenti per questo Forum eccellente! Ho rivevuto sabato la Suite I per Contrabbasso di Fernando Grillo, arriva in una decina di giorni. 
Ho suonato le prime 10 pagine, il Preludio. 
È una composizione di altissima qualità sonora ed architettura meravigliosa. 
Il contrabbasso vibra e risuona con facilità in tutte le posizioni e la Musica è un crescendo di emozioni guidate dalla Forza dell’Armonia. 
Non si può paragonare a Fryba perchè siamo su un altro pianeta, a mio modesto avviso. 
In quest’Opera si trova la profondità che tanta musica per il nostro strumento purtroppo non ha. 
Certo un commento completo avrebbe bisogno di tutta la Suite, ma vi assicuro che in ogni caso il Preludio mi è veramente piaciuto. 
Concludo dicendo che il mio parere è libero e guidato solo dall’Amore per il Bello e l’Arte. 
Un Caro Saluto a tutti.” Stefano Sciascia. MUSICHERIE.COM - Contrabbasso italiano. Moderatore: M° Vito Domenico Liuzzi.

“Intanto, ho ricevuto la Suite I da Schott Editions e nel mio piccolo vorrei commentare che le prime 25 pagine costituiscono a mio avviso del materiale imperdibile che permette un approfondimento importante sulle potenzialità e le possibilità del contrabbasso, sotto diversi profili: tecnica, dinamica, espressione e suono nei minimi dettagli. 
Questa parte che precede la Suite consiste in una spiegazione molto dettagliata delle particolarissime notazioni che s’incontrano nella partitura, con segni che personalmente non avevo mai incontrato e che danno precisissima indicazione di come una nota deve essere suonata (non solo quale nota e per che durata). 
Si tratta dunque d’istruzioni molto precise su diteggiatura e arcate, credo tutto ciò sia inteso ad ottenere esattamente il suono che l’Autore ha voluto. 
Molto interessante infine le istruzioni sull’intonazione e l’utilizzo di microtoni. 
Quanto sopra è il mio commento dopo una scorsa un po’ veloce, ma posso dire che questa Suite può essere vista non solo come una composizione ma anche come uno stimolo per esplorare nuove frontiere sotto il profilo prettamente contrabbassistico. Saluti. 
… l’improvvisazione non è altro che composizione estemporanea, ed il M° Grillo in fatto di composizione ne sa eccome - basta vedere quello che ha scritto, dai brani più audaci e 'contemporanei' alla mirabilissima Suite che dimostra come si possa comporre (ad alto livello) oggi mantenendo saldo il rapporto con la Grande musica del passato. 
Giorgio Dini. MUSICHERIE.COM - Contrabbasso italiano. Moderatore: M° Vito Domenico Liuzzi.

IP Logged

Fernando Grillo
God Member

W questo forum!

Reply #10 - 02.07.2008 at 11:21:47
Print Post Print Post  

M° Vito Domenico Liuzzi. 
Ideatore e Moderatore del 
Forum dei contrabbassisti italiani. 
MUSICHERIE.COM

“FERNANDO GRILLO 
Consiglio di visitare vivamente il sito di uno dei più grandi compositori ed interpreti di musica contemporanea al mondo per contrabbasso. Del resto ultimamente, e ne abbiamo parlato col maestro Sciascia, il maestro Grillo ha composto questa incredibile Suite per la Schott Edition a cui vale la pena veramente dare un'occhiata od avere fra i propri spartiti, vista l’importanza a livello internazionale che sta acquisendo e la grande capacità compositiva ancora una volta dimostratata dal maestro Grillo. 
Un artista di cui avremo modo di parlare ulteriormente visto che nel “mondo contemporaneo” ci rappresenta nei cinque continenti. Un saluto. Vito. MUSICHERIE.COM - Contrabbasso italiano. Moderatore: M° Vito Domenico Liuzzi.

“Il primo concerto di musica contemporanea che ascoltai fu un recital di Fernando Grillo al Conservatorio Rossini di Pesaro nel 1976: ne rimasi folgorato, quel concerto segnò la mia vita artistica e non solo. 
Il suo brano Itesi è uno dei più belli e geniali mai scritti per strumento solo. Negli anni ’90 ebbi la fortuna di conoscerlo personalmente suonando con lui ai Darmstadt Ferienkurse, ed eseguendo la sua fantastica musica. Grillo ci regala ora questa Suite I  che per l’arditezza tecnica e visionaria è al pari se non al di sopra addirittura dell’insuperabile Itesi.” Maurizio Barbetti. Agosto 2007

IP Logged

vitoliuzzi
God Member

Reply #11 - 04.07.2008 at 16:09:32
Print Post Print Post  
Ma che dici MAESTRO!!  Smiley Smiley Smiley
Io e te suoneremo insieme solo quando matureranno le pere e nella speranza che cadano.

Cmq. VISITATE IL SITO del FERDINANDO GRILLO. Ce ne sono cose da scoprire. Non vi preoccupate, nessuno saprà che lo avete visto e de relato nessuno potrà mai cedervi la livrea di antipetracchista come è successo a me ... ma quando mai se ho scritto TRE ARTICOLI SUL PETRA e forse quattro se riviene al conservatorio di Monopoli.

Ora io dico. A Monopoli è venuto Scodanibbio più volte credo. E tu, Fernando dove diamine eri, su uno yacht a farti le vacanze. Ma possibile ... vabbèèè mi stoppo qui Embarrassed Embarrassed

vito liuzzi
IP Logged

Fernando Grillo
God Member

W questo forum!

Reply #12 - 04.07.2008 at 19:03:53
Print Post Print Post  
Cosa facevo?, componevo con amore la Suite I, innamorato del mio strumento come i puri e grandi amatori Giovanni e Corrado; abbandonando il mondo all’infamia di quell’imitatore e agl’intrallazzi dei mie futuri persecutori!. 
La “carriera” del Grillo è pulita! 
E non ho mai, dico mai, disturbato alcuno o chiesto alcuna cosa. Nessuno potrà mai negare questo. 
Sempre "in attesa, del God" (amo Samuel Beckett! Soprattutto il primo “periodo” inglese: Watt, Murphy, Molloy… poi vi rinunciò, all’ingese, per il francese!). 
Mi spiace soltanto, Vito caro, di averti lasciato solo, in quel periodo. Unico rimpianto! 
Ringraziamo la pazza del mio conservatorio se, per avventura (io amo l’Odisseo! e Polifemo mi è simpatico, ma mai come Eva), trasmetto umilmente e on–line, gli alti insegnamenti dei Maestri, anche miei,  Corrado Penta ed Amedeo Baldovino. 
Mai avrei pensato di entrare in un Forum!, Vito mi è testimone, ma ora sono lieto di questo. 
Il "nostro" Forum!!! Grazie, pronunciato con orgoglio, Vito! 
Chi vivrà, vedrà. 

Ma chi è costui, dall' aspetto angelico!
« Last Edit: 08.07.2008 at 15:20:10 by vitoliuzzi »  

IP Logged

vitoliuzzi
God Member

Reply #13 - 08.07.2008 at 18:31:17
Print Post Print Post  
http://www.fernandogrillo.net/FernandoGrillo/default.asp

Klaus Huber

• Erinnere dich an G...

für Kontrabaß und 18 Instrumentalisten (1977)

1. 1. 3. 1. / 3. 0. 1. 0. / 

Pk., Schlzg. (2 Spieler) / Hfe., Git. / 3 Vla.
Edition Schott
London Sinfonietta
Fernando Grillo: double bass
Conductor: Elgar Howarth

Se siete coraggiosi, se non avete preconceti mentali, se siete liberi e nessuno vi obbliga a limitare il vostro ascolto a soli certi autori, se volete aprire i propri orizzonti come sto cercando di fare io, vi consiglio di Grillo il brano di cui sopra. Al 2° minuto stramazzrete per terra ma il bello viene dopo. E la Schott non è stupida. 

Però Maestro lo sfrutta appieno questo suo strumento !!! Non vorrei essere nei suoi panni !   

vito liuzzi
IP Logged